This is a kid approved recipe. My girls love these cookies as an occasional treat for breakfast.
Makes 12 cookies
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup cereal flakes (I use Cornflakes)
1/3 cup dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, chopped apricots)
1/3 cup chocolate chips or chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Line a cookie sheet with a non-stick baking liner or parchment paper.
3. Measure the flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into a medium-sized bowl and whisk to combine.
4. Place the butter and sugars in a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk until well combined.
5. Add the egg, applesauce and vanilla and beat until combined.
6. Add the flour mixture and beat with a wooden spoon until well combined.
7. Fold in the cereal, dried fruit and chocolate chips or nuts until just combined.
8. Wet your hands and form 12 equal sized dough balls.
9. Place dough balls approximately 2" apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Flatten each slightly.
10. Bake for 15 minutes until cookies are light brown.
11. Cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.