Pages

October 16, 2013

31 Days of Autumn {Day 16}: Fall Air Freshener

Fall Air Freshener

I love to have a nicely fragranced home and I like to make natural air fresheners from time to time.  Here are some of my favourite recipes to make your home warm and inviting.

Directions:

Fill a medium saucepan 1/2 to 3/4 full with water.  Add the ingredients and heat to a gentle boil.  Then turn down the heat and simmer as long as you need.  Remember to refill the water occasionally throughout the day. Adjust the spice/fruit ratio to your personal preference.  You can also make the air freshener in your crockpot and let it simmer all day.   

Warm Vanilla Spice
1 sliced lemon
1 tbsp vanilla extract or 1 vanilla pod
5 - 10 allspice berries  


Orange Spice
1 sliced orange
3 whole cloves
1 - 2 cinnamon sticks


Ginger Spice
5 slices ginger
1 - 2 whole cloves
2 - 3 cinnamon sticks



Apple Pie
1 sliced apple
1 cinnamon stick


Tips:

To save money, use the rinds from fruit that you peel or juiced lemons and oranges.  Place them in a ziploc bag in the freezer and save them until you need them.  

Use expired fruit juices in place of water in the recipes.  Expired spices are also good to use in these recipes.
     
Once you are done simmering the mixture, cool, pour into a mason jar and store in the fridge until you need the air freshener again.  I would recommend using the mixture only two to three times this way.  

{This is day 16 in a 31 day series celebrating autumn. Click here for more autumn ideas.}


5 comments:

  1. Love this idea, I came across something like this on accident one year making spiced cider in the crackpot. Might have to try one of these this fall. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Sarah! The great thing about this is that you can adjust the fruit / spices to suit your own tastes.

      Delete
  2. Great idea! I think I'll try the crock pot when we're having guest over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all these recipes! I will be pinning for sure! I also like to do them in my crockpot because I can leave it unattended and not worry about a fire or anything. So glad I found these on the Show & Share Wednesday party! Maybe you could share on my party on Friday at www.livinthemomlife.com ? Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carli - Thanks for visiting! Glad you like the recipes. Have a great week. :)

      Delete

All comments are appreciated!